7 Harmful Effects of Excessive Sugar in Your Diet
Some powerful reasons why you should purge excess sugar from your diet.
1. HIGHLY ADDICTIVE: Recent science studies have shown simple sugars to be four times more addictive than cocaine. A strong case can be made for simple sugar to be considered the #1 drug of choice in the US.
2. FATTENING: Consuming too much sugar stresses your liver and turns the excess sugar into fat. Once processed by the liver, part of that fat remains in the liver and the rest is purged into the body.
3. FATTY LIVER DISEASE: Consuming large amounts of sugar—which is common in the typical American diet–can promote non-alcoholic fatty liver disease–
a serious and life-threatening condition.
4. HIGH CHOLESTEROL: Added sugar has been shown to increase both bad cholesterol and triglycerides in our blood. Two things we certainly don’t need!
5. LEPTIN RESISTANCE: Sugar has been found to encourage leptin resistance—something that can cause cravings, weight gain, and other undesirable effects. Leptin is commonly referred to as the “satiety hormone.”
6. INFLAMMATORY: Inflammation doesn’t happen on its own. It is the body’s response to a host of modern irritations like smoking, lack of exercise, highly processed foods, and high-fat or high-calorie meals.
7. MOOD ALTERING: Consuming large amounts of sugar can have a profound negative effect on your mood, anxiety level, and even promote depression.