Fall marks the start of the holiday season for many DC metro residents and for most, it brings the arrival of invitations to small and large festive gatherings. For any BodyTech Ideal Protein client, this can pose a whole host of temptations and challenges for even the most committed dieter.
In order to help you navigate the temptation of this holiday party season, your friends at Body Tech have developed a list of tips and strategiesto help you stay on track towards your all-important weight loss goals this holiday season.
- Eat before you head to the party. Yep, its simple advice but it can be some of the most important you get. A dieting guest who arrives at a party hungry can spell disaster for even the strongest willed.
- Station yourself away from the food stations. Out of sight helps to keep temptations out of mind.
- When accepting an invite, let the host know you are on a special diet and very happy with your results. Tell them you look forward to the party and will either plan to eat before the event and would be happy to bring an Ideal Protein friendly food to share.
- You know the one who takes great pleasure in the down fall of others, the one who will encourage you to cheat and say it will be okay. Avoid them at all costs. Enough said.
- Weigh yourself right before you head out the door to the party. This will be a good reminder of the progress you made and the work still to be done.
- Load up on Ideal Proteinapproved veggies before anything else.
- Cut your visit short if you think you’ll be tempted to cheat.
- Drink plenty of water before you arrive at the party and throughout the event.
- Keep busy socializing so you mind is kept focus on talk and not food.
- Be sure to be mindful of your eating. Eat slowly and stay aware of how much food you consume.
- Enlist the help of your partner or a friend to support you if you find yourself easily tempted to cheat.
- Share you BodyTech / IP success with party guests. The more the talk about the positive effects it’s having on you and the weight you’re losing, the less likely you’ll be tempted to cheat or over eat.
- Bring an Ideal Protein sweet treat to the party. Give yourself a dessert option that keeps your diet on track.
- Take a ready-made IP shake with you to have handy should hunger strike.
- Bring along a pack of IP approved Xylatol gum. Once you are finished with you meal, chew a piece to help stave off temptation to eat more.
- Since alcohol is a no go while dieting, consider making a festive IP friendly drink of your own. Mix regular or carbonated water with Mangosteen drink mix or simply add lemon and ice and enjoy a refreshing drink in a fancy glass.
- If offered foods to eat that aren’t IP friendly, politely decline saying they look great but that you are making great progress on your diet and you’d hate to undo all your hard work. If the offers continue, thank the hostess for supporting you in your diet goals and briefly share why staying on your diet is so important to you and your health.
- If food offers persist, consider saying you are already stuffed and couldn’t eat another thing.
- Jump into the social activities. If there’s a game to play or other fun activities to do, get in the mix. The busier you are the better!
- Wear a small reminder of commitment. Place a wrist band on your arm to act a reminder throughout the party that you are telling yourself to be strong and avoid cheating.
- Recognize that the holidays can be a time when people overeat. If you do eat something that is not allowed on the diet, then reset and get back on the program the next day.
- Watch for emotional overeating. Make sure you are centered when you are going to be with difficult people and make a point to keep clear of stress triggers such argumentative conversations. Bottom line, if hunger is not your problem, food is not the solution.
- Don’t skip meals. This is a surefire way to lead to overeating. (The first meal of the day starts your metabolism.)
- Negative thoughts and insecurities can lead you to eating food for comfort. Don’t fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others. No one has a perfect life, so fall prey to the negative mindset that others have it better than you.
- Don’t deprive yourself! Keep yourself in check by eating tasteful foods that are Ideal Protein approved. This way you won’t be tempted cheat.
Holiday parties are about good times with friends and family. They aren’t about the food. Really.Understand that your state-of-mind will dictate your dieting success, so resolve yourself to staying positive! Go to parties ready to have a good time socializing and simply enjoying the event.
Remember, Phase 1 of Ideal Protein dieting isn’t intended to last forever, its temporary. Stay strong and look forward to a slimmer, healthier you in the coming weeks.